Friday, April 20, 2012

Hot Yoga

On Monday night, I tried my first hot yoga class with some of my ward friends. As this was my first yoga class ever, I was really nervous for several reasons:

I hate working out in the heat. The room was initially set to over 104 degrees and got well over. I was most aware of this when I could no longer breathe and became dizzy any time I attempted to stand. The fogged up mirrors were also a huge clue.

I don't understand yoga pose instructions. I don't mentally comprehend movement instructions very well. I have to really think about them and even then, I still typically do them incorrectly. Yoga directions are on a whole different level. Mostly because every movement had an animal name, like dog or rabbit. But also because I couldn't see the instructor due to all the sweat running into my eyes.

I dislike sweat running into my eyes. I was forewarned of the excessive amounts of sweat, but man, I looked as if I had just stepped out of the pool. Of course, I looked more like someone who nearly drowned in the pool. At one point, as my body parts were unrealistically interwoven, the instructor suggested I watch as my sweat rolled from my elbow, down to my fingers, to drop onto the floor. Mine splashed into a puddle.

I can't move my body like gumby.  Standing splits? Enough said.

Despite the aforementioned issues, I loved how I felt afterwards. I haven't been this sore in ages. And yes, I will be returning tomorrow night for a second round of torture. Go figure.

No comments: