Friday, March 16, 2012

Don't Miss Your Life

I have been feeling a little weighed down lately by my 
to-do list

Sometimes I hate those two little hyphenated words. 


It is funny how things, even simple things like "do the dishes so your house doesn't smell" or "vacuum your floor so your child doesn't eat something awful like a bug", can build up into such an insurmountable mountain of stuff. 

How do I have so much stuff  to do?

I am a stay-at-home mom, and while my to-do's have changed, I feel like my to-do list is just as large as when I was teaching full-time, working a side job on the weekends, 8 months pregnant with two moves pending in our future. 

And peeking its head around this list comes the guilty thought, "I am not spending enough time with my daughter." 




But how can I spend hours of time playing with my daughter and still keep a clean home, and prepare my Relief Society lesson, and go shopping, and change and feed my baby, and do the never-ending laundry, and sweep the floor, and manage the budget, and cook dinner, and run all the errands that need to be run, and still have time to me...even just to shower?

Oh, man. Like I said, I've been feeling a little weighed down. I know it's all about balance, because frankly, while it is wonderful to play with my daughter, I do need to make dinner and I do need clean clothes tomorrow and let's face it, I NEED to shower. 

Then last night, as I was driving home from a soccer game (which always helps in itself) blaring my music, the country song, "Don't Miss Your Life" by Phil Vassar came on (cheesy, I know). It kinda summed up my feelings...I don't want to miss my life or Addie's life because of all the stuff in the way. I just haven't learned how to balance just yet, or I haven't figured out how to feel okay with my current balance. Will I always feel like I never spend enough time with my children? Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Tan + Es said...

I just started a post on this exact same feeling a couple of days ago...but didn't get around to finishing it because of the rest of the things on my to-do list.
And I just wrote a whole bunch of stuff, but this comment was way too long, so you've inspired me to finish my post instead.
In short, hang in there sister. And keep paying attention to that sweet baby and husband of yours and we'll eventually learn how to juggle everything else!

Morgan said...

The balancing act is hard- and changes everyday. You're right- the most important thing on your to-do list is spending time with your family, but you also have the list to finish. So- lately what's worked best for me is this: do a little house work/dishes/laundry at a time when the baby's awake and save the big/exhausting stuff for nap time. Or learn that everything doesn't need to be perfect, and just do the basics. (You can always ask Jon for help too!) Also- crockpot meals rock! I kid you not- look into a 5 ingredient recipe crockpot book- saves my afternoons. :D Best of luck lady!