Friday, July 27, 2012

Berrett Reunion

I have been blessed by the families that surround me. Both my mom's side and my dad's side have incredible traditions that keep the families close, despite their ever growing size and expansion from the home base.

The Berrett family has a family reunion every year that we always look forward to. My grandparents have a posterity that numbers well over 100 and each of their nine children were there with as many grandchildren and great grandchildren that could make it. The numbers were in the 80s, which is incredible!

We spent four days in Blanding, UT at my uncle's incredible home and we had so much fun. The theme was the Olympics and we focused on the champions in our lives.

We:
had an opening ceremony complete with a torch being passed from family to family and "country" (family) flags with mottos, fireworks, the whole shebang.



hiked down a slot canyon and visited some amazing Indian ruins from 300 AD




swam at the community pool and watched our family dominate some chunky little kids who attacked us with squirt guns

played on the zip line, trampoline, playground, and wide expanse of grass at my uncle's house

hiked to an incredible land bridge and Indian ruins (Jon and I didn't do this since I was sick and his ribs were hurting)


overlooked Comb Ridge

ate DELICIOUS chicken phillies and shakes at The Patio

rented Razors from Four Corners Adventures and drove around the reservoir to the top of a butte and tested our technical driving capabilities (i.e. - scared the living daylights out of me)

check out Jon's dirt lines!
 

had a family talent show in which McKay rode Jake like a horse onto the stage for our Berrett Bandit rendition of "Horse With No Name"

played Fugitive or 007 through downtown Blanding which we won (jon, me, mckinlay, and katelyn, our 10 yr old cousins)...first ones on base without being caught by the spotters!! Whoowhooo! Lost a flashlight, got attacked by a large black dog, and got thorns in my pants.

chased the duck, Ming Ming, and the dog, Scruffy, around for hours on end to Adalyne's delight

ate our first "organic" lolipop, Addie's first taste of sugar

learned about our champion ancestors who came before us and have left a great legacy to follow

had an Olympic competition with races, balloon stomping, dancing, etc.

enjoyed sitting on the wide, white back porch of Uncle Jared's house, chillin' in the incredible weather

listened to the miracles that have occurred in our family during testimony meeting

got to spend some quality time with my brothers and parents


ate wonderful food and enjoyed the company of the entire family

had a closing ceremony with more fireworks!

This family is truly wonderful and we love this tradition. We hope that it will continue strong and that our small family can have traditions like this in the future!

1 comment:

Emilyface said...

Thanks for posting this Alyssa! This was the first Berrett reunion I have ever missed, and I was so sad. It's too bad our puppies were born just days before it started! But I had a lot of fun reading through what you documented! Love all the fun pictures!