Saturday, November 1, 2008

Moab and Family!!

So the men in my family have a tradition every year to go to Moab. I normally couldn't go because of school, and my mom couldn't go because of her health. So this tradition became a "man" only tradition. Until this year, when Jon and I and one of my girl cousins decided to crash. Neither Jon nor I had been to Moab even though we have driven through it a million times to other hiking trails...and we have NEVER been to Arches! How crazy is that! So we were super excited. Except for the fact that day number one was to be spent mountain biking. Bikes and I do not get along. I have no balance, have a slight fear of speed (especially on a bike), and I have no trust in the bike's sturdiness to keep me from falling off of a cliff...which is what we biked on all day. But of course Jon and I stepped up the plate...my little brothers were peer pressuring us so off we went. It was possibly the hardest thing ever, especially for someone who hasn't ridden a bike in forever. We rode all over Moab's slickrock trails...most of the time right on the edges of slanted cliffs. It was steep and hard, but it really was fun. I focused most of my energy on getting up the mountain, while my little brothers ran circles around me and were doing insane tricks off of the cliffs. The day was so fun and being with my brothers was hilarious. These pics were taken at the very top of one of the harder trails.
The only thing we didn't like was that our bottoms were extrememly sore. I thought I could cry when we got back on our bikes for our second trail. Jon and I walked a little bow-legged for a couple days afterwards.
The next day, we went to Arches! Yay! It was so amazing! We didn't have too much time, but we went on some really awesome trails. We look fairly disgusting, since we had been hiking all day, so ignore that. The first pic is of Landscape Arch, which is expected to fall very soon, and the second is on the trail to Double "O" Arch, which was my favorite. The view was incredible!

2 comments:

Marilee said...

Wow, Allie, I am so impressed that you biked that far and then went hiking the next day! Annoying little brothers shouldn't be allowed to taunt us, so I'm glad you showed them you could do it!

Brandon and Katie said...

yay for blogs! i love you guys. you couldn't be more perfect for each other. it was so good to see you!! thanks for letting us stay so late! hopefully we'll see you before we leave- if not, we'll be back on the 24th. party!! :) p.s. when we move back brandon and i will be joining the hiking/camping trips! so fun!