Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Tackling Timp!!


So Jon and I went camping with our friends Steve and Rachel two weekends ago and we decided to tackle Timp! I wanted to post pictures of our triumph so you all get the story behind it. I had done the hike before and it was a terrible experience, complete with blood soaked shoes. So I was hoping this time would be better. We backpacked up to Emerald Lake Friday and camped there overnight, which was way more fun than just straight hiking! We even got a really good fire going! But because we were so close to the glacier (or maybe it was because we only brought one tiny sleeping bag and a blanket for the two of us), Jon and I froze during the night. I was so grateful for the morning sun and the fabulous oatmeal we drank out of lidless waterbottles. We were sore and tired from packing in all of our stuff, so that last bit of the hike to the top was not so fun, but it was worth it! The views were spectacular and my dad went out into the street in Highland and flashed a mirror at us and everyone on the point could see it. I think I thoroughly embarrassed Jon when I said excitedly, "That's my dad! That's my dad making that shiny thing!" I repeated it several times and people were looking at me oddly. But it was really cool and fun to see everything! We tried to slide down the glacier but it was so rocky that Jon and I only made it about 100 feet of the way. By the end, my bum was soaking wet and sore from pointy rocks, and my hands were beyond freezing. But I think the worst part of the trek was hiking down. My knees were practically screaming at me! Overall, Jon and I decided that we would not hike Timp again for at least a year, but that the trip was way worth it and really fun.

7 comments:

Dani Lou said...

I love that your dad was out there with a mirror. I'll have to try that next time I hike it! Cute pictures!!!

Kelsi said...

Holy cow thank you thank you for getting a blog!!! I love it! It is so fun to see pictures and read about your life! I am so excited about this!

Sarah said...

i am so happy you have a blog now! last night was so fun...we'll totally have to do it again sometime! thanks for having us all over! and its so crazy jon and nate have so many connections...its a small world!

Melissa said...

I'm glad you've got a blog. It'll be fun hearing about all you have going on. Can't wait for more pics!

Skye, Patrick & the Kids said...

hey hey! I'm so glad I found you on here! haha it's so true about the married blog club...same thing happened to me..we got pushed and pushed to get one and now that i've got one i'm working so hard everyday to find something to blog about! I'll take a crazy picture of a caterpillar so i can say we went on a walk! anyways..nice job on the hike! I've never done it before, but have always wanted to until i just read your story! haha

NICOLE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NICOLE said...

hee hee all those stories of you climbing timp hahahah alike a boring married couple heee, i think you should def, put a blog about how you core apples correctly hahaha